District Technology Committee Wiki
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST/ADD IDEAS BELOW. WE MAY NOT GET TO EVERY IDEA, BUT WE'LL GIVE IT SINCERE CONSIDERATION!

Meetings are generally held between 4 & 5 p.m.

Next Meeting Agenda

March 11, 2010

1. Welcome - In attendance:
2. Review Minutes (below)
3. Old Business
  • "Dark Fiber" update
  • Title I Update
  • Technology Integration Plan Update
  • Other?
4. New Business
Streaming Video Solutions

School Loop: Free Website Hosting - Tabled to discuss other New Business

Other?
5. Next Meeting:
6. Adjourn




Feb. 10, 2010

1. Welcome: In attendance - Tricia Miller, Mike Miller, Rick Lawsha, Matt Jacobson, Roxanne Green, Marilyn Achelpohl
2. Review Minutes (below) - Suggestion: Create "Recommendations" page for District Tech Committee on Dist Web Site, submit to BOE, etc. Otherwise accepted.
3. Update on Community Tech Focus Group - Information from Focus Group tab was shared. Members present at the Focus Group meeting shared their observations. Next Focus Group meeting will be March 10, 2010
4. Suggestion: defer Old Business to March meeting unless time allows more discussion this evening - agreed.
5. Work Session: TIP Review
  • DRAFT TIP
  • Rubric
  • Discussion - Minor edits were made to wording, budget figures, etc., but time ran out before we could thoroughly examine every aspect of the Tech Integration Plan. Members present will continue to look things over and suggest edits (in all our free time - LOL). Suggestions/changes will be forwarded to Matt for consideration. Matt will make suggested changes and forward on to Tech Hub Director Cyndie McCarley for further suggestions. Matt will file the TIP no later than Friday, Feb. 26, 2010 (Prior to the March 1 deadline).
6. Next Meeting: Suggestion - Thursday, March 11, 2010
7. Adjourn


January 13, 2010

1. Welcome: Pam VanKirk (Galesburg Public Library), Jim Rich (Carl Sandburg College Adult Literacy Coordinator), Marilyn Achelpohl, Roxanne Green, Tricia Miller, Ken Exum, Mike Miller, Jim Allen, Joel Estes, Rick Lawsha, Matt Jacobson
2. Approval of Minutes
3. Old Business - Tabled to discuss New Business

  • Other?
4. New Business -

Guy Cahill visited with us for a few moments to announce that the District was beginning to explore the use of "dark fiber" Internet connection for the District, and develop a partnership or consortiuum with community resources to help defray costs.

The committee reminded Matt that a Community Focus meeting would be a good idea. See the Focus Group Tab on the left for more information on this idea.

The data below was reviewed by the committee. It was noted that there are currently no required technology courses at our schools. It was suggested that we encourage schools to look for ways to set aside time to tech technology skills in labs, and the younger, the better.

Mr. Rich reported that he and other Carl Sandburg College representatives suggest we look at using more open-source software, such as OpenOffice, GoogleDocs, etc. At CSC, students are shown how to use basic technology tools, Balckboard/WebCT, etc. Keyboarding is a real issue that they would like to see our schools help them address. It was noted that online tutorials might be better than nothing, but would in no way be a substitute for true typing instruction.

Ms. VanKirk reported that the Public Library staff often helps patrons with email, navigating web sites, and using chat programs. They also are exploring - and encourage us to explore - more paperless communication tools.

Currently the schools offer some open library and computer lab time, but these are only available after school. High School and Middle Schools offer some use of computer labs through Advisory classes, but otherwise the labs are used only when teachers sign up to bring classes to them. Mobile labs are being used to some degree at secondary schools, as well. There is one Technology class at each middle school, but they vary in focus, approach, and grad level taught. It was suggested that GHS and other schools offer a "zero-hour" computer class before (or after) school.

Mr. Lawsha reminded the group that every student has a network folder in which to store files for use during school hours from school computers. The group asked if there was a way to develop a "drop box" so students could virtually "hand in" assignments to teachers. (Currently most teachers do not have access to information in student folders.)

The group agreed that the District, including administrators and teachers at all grade levels, should be made aware of NETS-S standards and how to aliign their classrooms and lessons with them.

It was agreed to move forward with the goals of the existing Tech Plan, updating language as needed, with increased emphasis on NETS-S Standards
.


5. Next Meeting Date: Wednesday, February 10
6. Adjourn


December 9, 2009


Cancelled due to inclement weather
=----
November 10, 2009=

1. Welcome
2. Approval of Minutes - Approved
3. Old Business
  • Internet Safety Mandate FAQs: We reviewed the specifics of ISBE's recent posting of frequently asked questions.
  • Update on Streaming Video solutions: Matt has not had time to work on this. Will try to report @ next meeting
  • Master Facilities Committee Update: reviewed MFC wiki and read through a few of the comments/wish lists posted. DTC members are encouraged to read through these at their convenience.

4. New Business
  • Internet Safety Contest: ISBE has included our Internet Safety Curriculum web site as an example of best-practice! Matt provided copies of the just-released details for ISBE's Internet Safety Contest. We will incorporate this into our curriculum/activites, as it will help to satisfy both the Internet Safety mandate AND one of our remaining Tech Plan goals.
  • Tech Integration Plan: Matt is working on completing the DRAFT TIP, which should be completed before Nov. 31. Our next steps will be to collect & tabulate survey data and develop our Action Plan goals & budgets. More to come...
  • Parent Tech Survey : the Parent Survey has already been administered at Conferences; K-8. More are arriving daily. Matt will have information for you at the next meeting.
  • Title I & ARRA plans: Joel & Rick discussed our plans for K-8 Title I dollars. We are planning to upgrade all K-8 teachers' machines, including new towers, LCD monitors, and a document camera, in every regular education classroom. Monies may also be available update wiring and provide expanded access to students.
  • Title II-D ideas: Since Title I monies will be concentrated with the elementary schools, Matt & Rick will work together to use these funds solely in the 6-12 buildings.
  • Other?

5. Next Meeting: Wednesday, December 9, 2009; 4-5 p.m.
6. Adjourn


October 7, 2009

  • Welcome - In attendance, Ken Exum, Patricia Miller, Marilyn Achelpohl, Roxanne Green, Rick Lawsha, Matt Jacobson
  • Approval of Minutes - Approved
  • Old Business

      • Mid Course Correction/discussion - Discussed pursuing more Media Specialists for elementary schools. Will continue with current goals - no mid-course correction required.
      • Survey discussion - Existing survey instrument was edited to streamline questions/responses. Matt will look into state requirements/suggestions to ensure compatibility.
      • Other?
    1. New Business
      • Master Facilities Committee Update - Matt updated the group on the goals of this committee, and we perused the MFC wiki
      • Discovery Streaming (suggested by Dr. Denisar) - current licensing costs are excessive for immeidate adoption. Matt will research current licensing for this and other sites (Learn360, etc.) for report at next meeting
*
## Next Meeting: suggestion - November 10
    1. Adjourn



September 9, 2009

In attendance: Joel Estes, Rick Lawsha, Tricia Miller, Mike Miller, Roxanne Green, Matt Jacobson
Approved (see below - April 09)


    • Technology Integration Plan Overview: Memebers received a hard-copy of our current Technology Integration Plan and Action Plan.
Homework: At our next meeting we will discuss any needed mid-course corrections and complete needed paperwork. Members also received a hard-copy of the last version of the Tech Survey. More Homework:
    • At our next meeting we will discuss what items can be removed and what needs to be added to this survey. Request was made to include language covering calculator use. Plan re-write will be due next February.
    • Find template here (https://iircdemo.niu.edu/EPlans/Login.aspx?level=District&l=D&districtID=33048205026 - click on Technology Integration Plans)
    • Other: Accelerated Reader - discussed web-based vs. local server host. We3b Based is more $$, but must remain a building-by-building decision Wireless equipment has been obtained. Wireless acces could be district-wide during the course of this year. The use of netbooks may be explored in the district during the coming years. (Definite need at LMS; Gale has a cart but no computers for it) All students now have server-based folders so they can access their data anywhere in the district. Student logon procedures have been simplified to assist younger student-users. Teachers can reset student passwords as needed - Matt & Rick will work together to publicize this feature. Expanding membership of this committee was discussed, to include 1-2 more elementary teachers (K-2 classroom) and 1-2 more secondary teachers (6-12 LA/SS) ----


April 16, 2009


In attendance: Marilyn Achelpohl(GHS), Roxanne Green (Gale), Tricia Miller (Gale/Steele), Rick Lawsha (Tech Dept), Paul Woehlke (Finance/Ops), Matt Jacobson (Curric), Mike Miller (GHS)
Approved
Tech&Learning press release:After being approached by Tech& Learning magazine for quotes on how our stimulus money would be used, CO admins drafted a press release. The statement basically said that we would wait until that $$ actually appeared in our coffers before making plans on how to use it.
TICC Update​: TICC ad hoc group finished and published its work. Results can be viewed here: https://tech205.wikispaces.com/TICC
Other?

Survey Results: ​ Viewed and discussed results from spring Tech Needs Assessment. There are glitches in the survey instrument, which Matt and the DTC will work out before submitting to staff next year. Next year's survey is vital to help drive the re-write ot the Tech Integration Plan, which is due by the end of the school year.
Other?

Tech Competition/Showcase 2010: Trisha and Matt discussed preliminary plans for the proposed Tech Showcase 2010. It was suggested to remove the "competition" from this endeavor to help increase particiation. Ideas for prizes/participation incentives were discussed. Educator submissions to the Showcase will need to include full lesson plan documentation, and will be included in a "Tech Toolkit," a collection of resources to help promote increased integration of technology across the curriculum. ​ ​
Fall Institute Ideas: Tabled due to time contraints
Other?



March 19, 2009

1) Welcome – In attendance: Marilyn Achelpohl(GHS), Roxanne Green (Gale), Trisha Miller (Gale/Steele), Rick Lawsha (Tech Dept), Paul Woehlke (Finance/Ops), Matt Jacobson (Curric), and New Members: Mike Miller (GHS) and Dr. Jim Allen (Churchill JHS)
2) Minutes from last meeting (
Approved)
3) Celebrating Successes

a) Tech&Learning article in April regarding District 205’s SMART Board implementation – part of larger article about interactive white boards
b)
We examined some excellent teacher-created blogs, including Mrs. Green’s & Lincoln Studies’.
c) TICC: Technology Integration Curriculum Committee is in-progress. The group is using the Barrington template that DTC approved at the December meeting. They are also using a wiki to collaboratively edit the documents. Their next meeting is Monday, March 30

4) Identifying Challenges

a) Survey Results: Matt provided DTC members a packet of charts generated from the Feb/Mar’09 Zoomerang survey. The group chose to table this discussion until next meeting to spend more time on the topic below.
b) Progress toward Tech Integration Plan Goals: Paul, Rick, and Matt took the group through the goals of the District’s Technology Integration Plan. Paul Woehlke noted that generally we have done a very good job overall of making progress toward achieving these goals.

Areas in which we haven’t fully achieved our goals yet:
(B.1.2) Current budgets do not allow us to hire continuing full-time Library/Tech Specialists for all buildings.
(B.1.3) Tech Skills Competition has not yet begun, but will likely start in 2009/10 (see below)
(D.1.2) Guidelines for Student Technology Portfolios will be woven into the work of the Tech Integration Committee. Once the curriculum is in-place, the TICC will designate TYPES of student work that might be included to show student mastery of skills.

5) Creating Solutions
a) The group viewed new websites created/under construction for a number of pre-K-5 schools in the district.
b) Rick Lawsha will examine using Title II-D or other funds to upgrade servers to accommodate expanded file storage for both students and teachers. This will help in attainment of goal D.1.2 (above).
c) Mr. Woehlke suggested that more SMART Boards might be available to the district than previously thought due to a large-volume contract currently being negotiated between District 205, SMART, and Bradfield’s Computer Supply. This has not been finalized – dependent on funding available from D205 budget.
d) Mr. Lawsha informed us that he is currently working out details with Microsoft that could upgrade most district computer software to Microsoft Office 2007 titles (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.). The next MS operating system (Vista or Version 7) may also be available to district computers with appropriate hardware configurations. Rick also shared that this contract may include a Home Use Agreement for Office programs, wherein teachers can purchase (for a very small fee) disks to install the same software on their home computers as well. This has not been finalized – dependent on funding available from D205 budget.
e) Matt is working on developing pilot groups and purchasing licenses for the use of WikiSpaces and EduBlogs. These two services would allow teachers to create interactive web pages for their classrooms, team, pod, and/or course(s), encouraging increased interaction among teachers, parents, and the community at large through the use of a blog and/or wiki.
f) Matt briefly showed the group how to use a WikiSpaces site to suggest items for the DTC agenda. Matt briefly showed a sample EduBlogs site as well.
g) Matt and Trisha Miller will meet Tuesday, March 31, to begin preliminary planning for next year’s Technology Skills Competition

Next Meeting: Thursday, April 16, 2009, 4-5 p.m., Lincoln Ed Ctr Board Room


=February 2009 ----
=

=Jan. 14, 2009 ----
=

Dec. 15, 2008**